Goodbye Florida!






Our last stop in Florida was at Fernadina, Florida.  We stayed at Fernadina Harbor Marina - right downtown and easy to walk to town.  It was a charming place, full of shops, restaurants and bars.  We met up with our friends, Jill and Joel, on Smile with the Risin’ Sun, as well as Rusty and Darleen on Bama Breeze.  Another Rossi owner, John, on Neo, was also in Fernadina - 2 great looking boats docked at the marina! 

The cool thing about Fernadina is that Amelia Island is close by. We walked to Amelia Island Beach one day. It’s a bit of a hike and I was wishing we had bicycles.  The beach is an area to find sharks teeth and we found some!  There is also a state park, Fort Clinch, located between Fernadina and Amelia Island.  You can view remnants of the fort and the beach at Fort Clinch is also a good place to find sharks teeth.  Our plan was to look at the fort but after walking so far to Amelia Island, we just returned to the marina.  We were tired, hungry and we were leaving the following day, headed to Georgia - we needed to rest!  Oh and we did spot one alligator on our walk to Amelia Island!
                                                  
                                                   

Comments

  1. I've been following your blog because the Rosborough 246 is the lead candidate for my retirement loop and cruise boat when that time comes. While I live in NC, Fernandina Beach has been my family's vacation place for my whole life. In fact I'll be there Friday. I wish you had bicycles because it is a wonderful place to explore that way. Just a slight item of clarification, you didn't walk "to" Amelia Island, you were on it the whole time. You walked across it from its west side to east side. That was a long walk! You crossed Egan's Creek and that made you feel you were crossing to an island. If you're there again rent bikes and do Fort Clinch and the Egan's Creek Greenway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We chose a Rosborough because it’s trailerable and where we live, we will be able to trailer it to bigger bodies of water. Also, Jeff preferred an outboard motor; it’s been great, being able to move a little quicker and get to great destinations, such as Fernadina and have more time to explore. We haven’t had to worry much about draft either, and the smaller size means less cost at marinas and usually they can squeeze us in. It’s easier going through bridges too - sometimes we don’t even need to have them raised.
      Thanks for the clarification on Amelia Island. I remember the name of Egan’s Creek now. That’s where we saw an alligator. I may even plan another trip to Amelia Island. I’ll be sure to take bikes! It was one of those places you could stay a week!

      Delete
    2. I like the Rosborough 246 for all the reasons you listed. I think I'm thinking the same way you and Jeff did. I hope to buy one about 5 years before retirement and do small short trailer trips and then attempt the Great Loop in a single trip but with the option of trailering home if anything arises. I love the idea of storing and transporting myself, for sure. For now I'll keep dreaming and reading thr blogs of adventurers like yourself!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jeff - this boat has really been good to us. I go back and forth wishing I had a bit bigger boat - no more than 30’ and a wider beam, just for the loop. But the outboard, being able to go quickly, less draft, less money is great!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hammond, Indiana

Boomerang - 09/13/2022

Ottawa Beach Marina, Holland, Michigan